[Pythonmac-SIG] My stab at a new page

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Fri Feb 10 04:24:55 CET 2006

> Could a Mac ever ship with an
> > acceptable pre-installed Python?  If not, perhaps the solution for
> > Apple is to move /usr/bin/python to some other spot, like
> > /usr/libexec/, or some such place.
>
> The issue of not being able to produce redistributable applications
> still exists, and also backwards compatibility with previous versions
> of Mac OS X.

So you're saying that the pre-installed version could never be really
acceptable.  In that case, perhaps we only need convince Apple to move
/usr/bin/python to some more system-y place that wouldn't usually be
on users' paths.

We then in the MacPython world take the position that Python isn't
really pre-installed on Macs, and the place for a person to start
would be to download the installer and run it.  Perhaps then in
addition the installer could symlink /usr/local/bin/pythonw to
/usr/bin/python, thereby solving the PATH issue.

Bill