[Pythonmac-SIG] My stab at a new page

Rodney Somerstein rodneys at io.com
Fri Feb 10 20:24:53 CET 2006

At 9:51 AM -0800 2/10/06, Bill Janssen wrote:
>The problem is that there are many kinds of "new users".

This is true. The trick, in my view, is to make sure to define terms
when they are first used. That way, the actual beginners have a
chance of following along and the more experienced "new users" will
skim over that sentence or two and get to the meat of what they are
trying to find out. I don't see any other useful way to serve
everyone on a single getting started page without either setting the
bar too high for true newbies or frustrating the more experienced
folks.

Links to pages for more detailed explanations can prevent the basic
definitions from taking up too much room. But a simple sentence or
two of introduction to each topic with novices in mind will go a long
way toward eliminating assumptions of what people know.

-Rodney