[Pythonmac-SIG] My stab at a new page

Bill Janssen janssen at parc.com
Sat Feb 11 02:27:26 CET 2006

> Please forget [TigerPython24Fix] exists - I'm
> tired of discussing it.

Fine.  The next installer won't have it or need it, and I'll remove
the bit about it on my sample page.

> > And for that matter, why not include TigerPython23Compat as part of
> > the MacPython installer?
>
> TigerPython23Compat allows OS X 10.4's installation Python 2.3 to use
> packages built with OS X 10.3.  Not very relevant to a Python 2.4.

OK, thanks.

> > And how about bundling tcltkaqua into it, as well?
>
> Tcl/Tk Aqua ships with OS X 10.4 and it's a relatively large
> dependency to just include for the sake of OS X 10.3 users.

But IDLE.app won't work without it on 10.3, if I read this correctly.
It doesn't have to install on 10.4, the pre-flight scripts can check
this.

> >> Also, the installer has always had IDLE.app.
> >
> > I'm glad to hear that about IDLE.app.  But I'm depressed again when I
> > read pages like
> > http://rlai.cs.ualberta.ca/RLAI/RLsoftware/PythonLinks.html#IDLE.  My
> > impression from reading that is that MacPython IDLE.app is extensively
> > broken.
>
> Those are reasons not to use IDLE with the built-in Python 2.3.
> Those issues are all trivial to fix for any build that we produce.

OK, great.  The Alberta page was referring to the IDLE.app that came
with the MacPython installer; so that's just something to put on the
TODO list for the installer.

Bill