[Pythonmac-SIG] My stab at a new page

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Sat Feb 11 21:58:13 CET 2006

On 10-feb-2006, at 4:24, Bill Janssen wrote:

>> Could a Mac ever ship with an
>>> acceptable pre-installed Python?  If not, perhaps the solution for
>>> Apple is to move /usr/bin/python to some other spot, like
>>> /usr/libexec/, or some such place.
>>
>> The issue of not being able to produce redistributable applications
>> still exists, and also backwards compatibility with previous versions
>> of Mac OS X.
>
> So you're saying that the pre-installed version could never be really
> acceptable.  In that case, perhaps we only need convince Apple to move
> /usr/bin/python to some more system-y place that wouldn't usually be
> on users' paths.
>
> We then in the MacPython world take the position that Python isn't
> really pre-installed on Macs, and the place for a person to start
> would be to download the installer and run it.  Perhaps then in
> addition the installer could symlink /usr/local/bin/pythonw to
> /usr/bin/python, thereby solving the PATH issue.

That won't happen. Replacing system components is completely wrong,
what if someone finds a security bug in /usr/bin/python and Apple ships
a security update to fix it [*]. The installer should update the user's
path to ensure that our version of python is earlier on the PATH.

Ronald

[*] the first part being very unlikely of course :-)