[Pythonmac-SIG] Build script for Universal Python

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Mon Feb 13 22:28:00 CET 2006

On 13-feb-2006, at 20:14, Kevin Ollivier wrote:

> Hi Ronald,
>
> On Feb 13, 2006, at 10:28 AM, Ronald Oussoren wrote:

>>> That sounds fine, we're going to be making a couple IDLE hacks
>>> anyway.
>>
>> Are we? We have a lot of patches anyway, adding another patch to
>> teach idlelib about the document locations that pydoc recognizes
>> won't be the most controversial one in our set of patches.

>>> That's a good idea, but last I tried to get one of my friends to
>>> do something about that it turned out to be "too realistic".  I'm
>>> not going to bother wasting anyone else's time.
>>
>> I remember that. Is that icon still available? That icon was a lot
>> better than what we have now, if anyone complains about the
>> realism they can come up with another icon :-).
>
> There are other potential designs for icons; for example, have you
> seen the snake icon for the wxPython demo (once it's loaded, it
> changes from the weight icon to the snake)? (Sorry, yes, I know who
> I'm asking. ;-) I also pointed out some other alternatives on some
> thread on this list in Nov. 2003, thread "MacPython logo redux".
> But then others complained, surprise, that it's too cartoony. :-)
> The problem is not that there's no other icons, it's just that
> we're not going to make everyone happy.

I haven't seen the icon, is it online somewhere? BTW. I do use
wxPython at work, it is the easiest way to develop windows GUI's
without leaving the comforts of my mac.

> The Apple/snake icon, from an image perspective (and that's all it
> is...), has several problems with it. First, real snakes are scary
> and some people don't like looking at scary things. I had to put
> stickers over the cover of my O'Reilly Python library reference
> book because the snake on there creeps my wife out. I think I'll
> have a harder time now getting her to use Python... I won't even
> get into the biblical connotations, etc. of a mean-looking snake
> wrapped around an apple, but I think being non-offensive is,
> probably, a good idea if we're still talking about making Python
> appeal to others. As has been stated before in this discussion, we
> probably won't offend "too many people" with these things, but why
> do we have to offend anyone at all? A non-offensive 12-ton weight
> is at least better than a somewhat offensive snake.
>
> A more cartoonish/abstract design like the wxPython one won't spook
> anyone or have scary connotations, and while some people may not
> like it, it's closer to the Windows Python icon and heck, icons
> like Adium's are actually some of my favorites. There's also the
> issue that at small sizes, the snake becomes unrecognizable anyways
> making the icon look like an Apple with a yellow something at the
> bottom. But of course, this was all dregged up and discussed before.
>
> I really wish Python itself would get a standard icon across
> platforms, but that's another story. (The web site redesign seems
> totally stalled....)

A standard icon would be nice, but we really have to update the 10-
ton icon its age is too obviously an OS9 icon. I know the snake is
offensive/scary to some people, but I'm afraid that if we don't
change now we'll never change. I don't mind having the snake icon on
Bob's site in a first beta release of Universal Python if that stirs
things up enough to get a less offensive icon in the final release.
Bonus points for someone that is inspired by Monty Python.

Ronald