[Pythonmac-SIG] Pythonmac-SIG Digest, Vol 34, Issue 69

Daniel Lord daniel at brightfire.com
Tue Feb 14 01:52:03 CET 2006

On Feb 13, 2006, at 3:03 PM, pythonmac-sig-request at python.org wrote:

> 1. Monty Python related (to avoid the annoying offensive imagery
> arguments)

Monty Python is copyrighted work. I would advise keeping a careful
distance from anything commercially recognizable unless you put aside
a  significant settlement fund and lawyers fees for the settlement
negotiation. But then you could gamble that Michael Palin et al are
fans of open source software, want to contribute to the cause,  and
will let you use it gratis. Frankly, the language is named after a
snake, a pretty noble beast actually, and I am not sure how Nature
offends in this case. I think FORTRAN, PERL, C, Java, and C# are
banal and unimaginitive in fact. Not that i think animals are good
language names, but then what is? But the essence of naming is
representation and memorability. I think Python is better than many
in those respects. I suggest the collective community has 'bigger
fish to fry' but since your are volunteers that is a suggestion.