[Pythonmac-SIG] final? try at new MacPython download page

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Tue Feb 14 02:17:07 CET 2006

On Feb 13, 2006, at 4:55 PM, Charles Hartman wrote:

> I think this looks good and smooth. Thanks for doing this work.
>
> The two big topics -- topics that loomed large for me when I started
> trying to figure out whether I wanted to use Python on the Mac --
> aren't really addressed yet: alternative IDEs (Wing, SPE, PyOXIDE if
> it were working, etc) and GUI libraries (especially wxPython).
>
> The IDEs are important because IDLE doesn't exactly make Python
> competitive. The libraries are important for anyone who wants to make
> cross-platform GUI apps, and I think that may be a large proportion
> of potential users.

"IDLE doesn't exactly make Python competitive"... with what?  What
does Ruby, Perl, PHP, etc. have that beats IDLE?  There's Eclipse for
Java, but you can use that with Python also...  Stuff like TextMate
and Emacs also don't really exhibit any language preference.

> If these doesn't go on the first page -- I guess the consensus may be
> against this -- then shouldn't they go in the FAQ? I see wxPython
> mentioned there, very much in passing, and with a virtual deprecation
> in the same sentence, and nothing about IDEs, unless my eyes just
> stumbled past it. The Vaults of Parnassus site
> 		http://www.vex.net/parnassus/
> is kind of a grab-bag, but shouldn't we include a pointer to it or
> (better) foreground some of what it offers?

The vaults are probably dead, I'd just link to Cheese Shop.