[Pythonmac-SIG] Fwd: python help

Nehemiah Dacres dacresni at slu.edu
Mon Feb 20 07:45:38 CET 2006

Dear Python Help Group
I am a student of Computer Science and i need help understanding how
MacOS 10.4 (tiger) handles Python.
the class I am in is "Intro to Object Oriented Programing" so they
teach in python to reduce teaching of syntax so they can focus on O.
Orientation. I need to import modules we create in class into my
programs and i want to be able to do this as painlessly as possible
per run. My first solution was to find where all the other third party
modules are kept so i found "PyObjC" and there  i found how to install
the modules i needed for class. I got this to work and the terminal
agreed, i ran homework from the terminal that day and they worked
well. However lately I've been having problems.
        every sence then, ive been getting this error

Could not find platform independent libraries <prefix>
Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>]

and I really don't know what's going on. I know what PATH is and how
to append it but my knowledge of unix stops at your tutorials in the
tiger terminal, and that of Inside Mac (I never even got Fink and
those X Droplets to work ) so I don't want to mess things up further
than I already have. Recently (im certian it was a later date than
when i changed that) Bittorrent stopped working. I ran it from withing
the package and got this

Last login: Thu Feb 16 20:52:55 on ttyp2
/Users/Username/Applications/BitTorrent.app/Contents/MacOS/BitTorrent; exit
Welcome to Darwin!
adsl-70-130-208-110:~ Username$
/Users/Username/Applications/BitTorrent.app/Contents/MacOS/BitTorrent;
exit
Could not find platform independent libraries <prefix>
Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>]
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Users/Username/Applications/BitTorrent.app/Contents/Resources/__main__.py",
line 1, in ?
    import AppHelper
  File "./AppHelper.py", line 14, in ?
  File "./AppKit/__init__.py", line 8, in ?
  File "./AppKit/_AppKitSignatures.py", line 1, in ?
  File "./objc/__init__.py", line 20, in ?
  File "./objc/_convenience.py", line 21, in ?
ImportError: No module named itertools
2006-02-16 21:02:44.085 BitTorrent[388] *** Uncaught exception:
<NSInternalInconsistencyException>
/Users/drue/wa/osx/main-embedded-interpreter.m:75 pyobjc_main()
PyRun_SimpleFile failed with file
'/Users/Username/Applications/BitTorrent.app/Contents/Resources/__main__.py'.
 See console for errors.
Trace/BPT trap
logout
[Process completed]

Most of that was greek to me but upon looking at the explanation the
problem was clearly my python. (which was made even more obvious when
looking at the resources folder: it seems Bittorent is a Python native
app). This makes things even more dire because I've been using that
program for my anime fix, it doesn't work for ANY account on the
machine.
the final change is that i found the location of the path in
Extras.pth (/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/Extras/lib/python2.3)
found that the last folder was just "python" instead of "python2.3"
but after I remedied that, it still didn't work
the situation is pretty bad but at least regular scripts work
(
n=raw_input('enter the number up to which you want to take the product')
n=int(n)
k=raw_input('enter the number u want to skip')
k=int(k)

prod=1
for i in range (1,n+1,k):
        prod*=i
        print i
        print prod
)
once with TextWrangler The terminal told me that it couldn't find the
debugger file. i just found the file dbg.py and put it were the
terminal said it was looking, and sence then i haven't gotten that
message.

Thank you, for your help
python Student