[Pythonmac-SIG] MacPython documentation and webpages

Wed Jan 4 12:08:44 CET 2006

Hi MacPython community,

I've been a python user for two years now and a Macintosh user for
even more years. However, I did'n use python on the Mac extensively
as I have cross-platform projects that bring their own (unix-flavour)
python install.

This week I tried to get up and running with a current (2.4)
installation as a framework build. Probably, this is the way to go on
OS X for the common user. However, I found that information on
MacPython is split over a couple of web locations, most of which
feature incomplete, outdated or at least contradictory information on
where to get which version of MacPython.

On my quest I struggled over these places:

http://www.python.org/2.4.2  --  no info on Mac, not even a link to
the other resources on python.org (see below)
http://www.python.org/download/download_mac.html  --  most accurate
place but well hidden
http://www.python.org/doc/2.4.2/mac  --  linking to http://www.cwi.nl/
~jack/macpython
http://www.python.org/doc/faq  --  no information on python / mac but
on python / windows
http://wiki.python.org  --  more or less current information
http://www.pythonmac.org  --  unstructured list but contains most of
the links to current information
http://pythonmac.org/wiki/FAQ  --  more or less outdated information
on Jack's MacPython 2.3 framework build
http://undefined.org/python  --  current MacPython 2.4.1 framework
build and link to http://pythonmac.org/packages
http://homepages.cwi.nl/~jack/macpython  --  formerly the place to
look but now outdated and containing no links to newer information

 From my point of view, it would be very helpful to concentrate
MacPython knowledge and information in a central place like
www.python.org / http://wiki.python.org and replace all outdated
information on the other web pages by a link to that central place.
Please don't take this for criticism on the original authors of the
pages referenced. I do honour all the work that has gone into
documenting the different stages of MacPython development. But it's a
good time to overhaul and restructure the info now, since Apple ships
a nearly unmodified (but partly broken) MacPython 2.3 framework build
with 10.3 and 10.4.

I would invest some time and effort in revising documentation, but
since I'm dependent or your knowledge and experience, this is a call
for discussion / participation. What is your opinion?

Thanks in advance,

Mark