[Pythonmac-SIG] python 2.4.2 source builds 2.4.1?

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Fri Jan 13 03:33:21 CET 2006

On Jan 12, 2006, at 5:46 PM, Samuel M. Smith wrote:

>> I'll repeat myself and be more explicit about why I said what I
>> said...
>>
>> You must run it with DYLD_FRAMEWORK_PATH=. if it's not installed
>> yet.  It has *absolutely nothing* to do with the fact that there
>> is an existing framework somewhere else.  In other words: it's not
>> linked wrong, you ran it incorrectly.
>>

> This worked for me. I think our emails crossed. Thanks for the
> help. For linux builds I was used to
> to being able to run the python.exe that is made by make before
> running install, as a check for a good build
>  so I was surprised that it was giving me unexpected results. I
> didn't appreciate that there is some magic happening with framework
> builds.
>
> I hope these details make it onto the revised python documentation
> on the website.

It's actually magic that's *not* happening in the framework builds.
IIRC, in the normal builds that you're used to, python.exe is an
autoconf generated shell script that sets up the proper environment
variables before running the real executable.

If you had did a normal Python build, presumably autoconf would've
known how to do the same tricks that it does on other platforms.