[Pythonmac-SIG] Problem with applets on MacPython

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Fri Jan 13 22:13:31 CET 2006

On Jan 13, 2006, at 12:43 PM, Nathaniel Rhein wrote:

> I know it'd be better to post this to a primarily MacPython group,
> but this is pretty much all I could find for Python.
> I'm very novice as far as programming languages go; basically I
> leanred Basic a while back and now, wanting to get into a more
> advanced langage, chose Python. I really don't know much about how
> languages work with operating systems (if you download just Python
> — not MacPython — for OS X you get a whole bunch of strange folders
> and files with Terminal icons), or any of that stuff, so I'm trying
> to start out pretty small. My problem right now is simply that
> whenever I build a simple program I have made in MacPython into an
> applet — from PythonIDE, BuildApplet, or py2app, — it never works.
> I open it up and it quits right away, without even an error
> message. I'm using ridiculously small programs (1-10 lines or so),
> and I don't know of anything else to do. Does anyone know how to
> fix this problem, or if I'm barking up the wrong tree, a better
> starting point for wanting to learn programming? Or is this just
> entirely the wrong place to ask?

Your programs are probably behaving correctly.  What's happening is
that none of those application building tools have an option that
attaches a console to them, so your simple console interaction isn't
going to work.  In order to make an applet with that sort of console,
you'll need to use a windowing toolkit such as wxPython, Tkinter, or
PyObjC.

There are probably other, not Python specific, tools designed to
generically wrap unix style terminal applications with an interactive
console, but I'm not aware of any specifically.