[Pythonmac-SIG] Building multiple command-line( ( CLI ) programs with py2app

Read Roberts rroberts at adobe.com
Sat Jan 14 18:34:40 CET 2006

Thank you for your response.

I am distributing a set of tools for editing fonts. Five are quite large and
complex, the rest are small programs for doing very specific teaks to the
font files. They are all usually run in batch-mode to be applied to many
font files, and typically take as input only ad input and output file names
and a few option setting,  hence the implementation as command-line tools.

My current plan is to use py2app to build a single bundle app, and then
build a shell command file for each tool to wrap a call to the CLI program
inside the bundle app with the name of the desired Python file to to run.

- Read Roberts

On 1/14/06 4:32 AM, "Bob Ippolito" <bob at redivi.com> wrote:

> On Jan 13, 2006, at 6:48 PM, Read Roberts wrote:
>
>> I would like to distribute about 30 Python command-line programs
>> that use a
>> single stand-alone Python distribution. Looking at py2app, I only
>> see the
>> following two ways of doing it. Can anyone suggest a better approach?
>
> What do you want to happen, ideally?  Clearly you don't want 30 CLI
> apps with 30 full Python distributions.  There are several
> workarounds, but in order to make py2app serve your needs I'm going
> to need to know what that is.  Also, you probably have the same need
> on other platforms, so cx_freeze and/or py2exe should be capable of
> doing the same thing.
>
> -bob

Read Roberts Adobe SJ on Weds, home office 415-642-5642 other days