[Pythonmac-SIG] Building multiple command-line( ( CLI ) programs with py2app

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Tue Jan 17 19:11:22 CET 2006

Bob Ippolito wrote:
> What do you want to happen, ideally?  Clearly you don't want 30 CLI
> apps with 30 full Python distributions.  There are several
> workarounds, but in order to make py2app serve your needs I'm going
> to need to know what that is.

I've thought about this, and I think the solutions proposed will
probably work well for the OP. However,  I'd like to have another
option. I'd like to be able to install a complete Python distribution
that has all the packages my apps need, all in one bundle. Then the
individual scripts would use that, rather than the regular installed
python. Perhaps you'd have a #! line like:

/usr/bin/env MySpecialPython

in each script.

MySpecialPython would be installed somewhere on the path, and it would
be a link or small script that started up a python installed in a bundle
somewhere. That bundle would have all the packages installed that all my
Scripts need.

Currently, what I do is supply a bunch of *.mpkg files for all the
packages I need, and my users (of which there are only a couple now
anyway) just need to install them all. Not a big deal, but a single,
customized "run time" that doesn't interfere in any way with the
installed python would be pretty cool.

It seems that the Py2App infrastructure could be useful for making such
a beast. You'd need to add a way to give it multiple scripts to search
for dependencies, then make the primary interpreter something that could
be called just like regular python.

Once we've got that, we'd also need a way to build "applets", or
application bundles that would use the "run time", but would otherwise
behave like an application bundle: point and click start-up, icons, etc.

This sounds like a good idea to me, because I have a growing collection
of small wxPython programs. Each one is pretty small, maybe a few
hundred lines of code, but making a full Py2App bundle of each one
results in a pretty darn set of bundles!

Does anyone else think this would be useful?

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov