[Pythonmac-SIG] MySQLdb lib help

Chris Porter chrisporter at wi.rr.com
Mon Jan 16 17:44:08 CET 2006

Hello, complete python newbie here.

I've got:

OSX 10.4.3
Python 2.3.5
MySQL 4.1.15-standard
(of course, all pre-installed, except for MySQL)

I don't seem to have the right python module that will allow python to interact with my MySQL
databases.

I am completely not a programmer, but I can follow a cookbook-type instruction set in Terminal, and
have already set up several MySQL databases and php on my personal intranet. Now I want to run a
python program (by someone else, of course) that also interacts with my MySQL databases. I've run
the test query that searches for the MySQLdb python module, and found I don't have it, so I need to
install it.  So, I found this list. Looked for the past year for information about this issue:

Bob said in June:
"You can download a MySQL-python 1.2 installer from:
http://pythonmac.org/packages/"

So I did. And installed it (though it's for 10.3) and ran the
test I found on the web in Terminal:

>>> import MySQLdb
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
ImportError: No module named MySQLdb

Would someone be kind enough to help me out, please?

I'm sort of betting the package installed the lib into
the wrong place. Is that possible?
-- Chris Porter Illustration
chrisporter at wi.rr.com, chrisporter at huntingthesnark.com
http://chrisporter.huntingthesnark.com