[Pythonmac-SIG] Building multiple command-line( ( CLI ) programs with py2app

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Wed Jan 18 18:35:28 CET 2006

Bob Ippolito wrote:
>>I'd like to be able to install a complete Python
>>distribution that has all the packages my apps need, all in one
>>bundle.

>>Does anyone else think this would be useful?
>
> Not really... this would require an installer, so you might as well
> use a regular Python distro.

I don't follow. All you'd need is a *.mpkg of the "runtime", and then
one for each applet. Or you could put them all in one.

One of the issues with a regular python distro is that the user could be
using that distro for something else. If they are doing that they may
well need/install different versions of various libraries, upgrade it,
whatever, and my applets could break. What I'd like is for my stuff to
depend only on a Python distro that I have control over. I thought maybe
Py2App would be an easy way to build such a thing.

I suppose I could create a python distro in:

/Library/Frameworks/MySpecialPythonFramework

and put what I need into that.

How hard would that be? Could I just make a copy of the regular one and
go from there, or is that path hard coded all over the place?

The other thing I need to learn is how to put a bunch of *.mpkgs
together into one meta-mpkg, so that I can install a bunch of stuff with
one click.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov