[Pythonmac-SIG] MySQLdb lib help

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Wed Jan 18 20:55:32 CET 2006

On Jan 18, 2006, at 11:28 AM, Russell E. Owen wrote:

> In article <2EA4643A-F98F-40ED-AC55-E5150A3DFB5B at utoronto.ca>,
>  David Warde-Farley <david.warde.farley at utoronto.ca> wrote:

>> The MySQLdb module doesn't come standard. And seeing as how I can't
>> get it to build properly with Apple's Python (and Apple's Python is
>> kind of icky anyway), here's the rundown:
>>
>> Firstly, you'll probably want to install Python 2.4 from http://
>> undefined.org/python/, and the Tiger fix....
>
> Could you expand on "Apple's Python is   kind of icky anyway"? The
> python 2.3 that came with MacOS X 10.3 works fine for me (including
> with
> 3rd party libraries); did it go downhill on 10.4?

It's fine, unless you want to create redistributable applications.
If you build an app with a vendor Python, it will only reliably work
on that version of the OS.  Future versions of Mac OS X will
absolutely throw away Python 2.3 for Python 2.4 (or 2.5, depending on
when that happens) and none of your applications will still work.

Other than the benefits of a non-vendor installation, Python 2.4 is
better in every way.  Faster, more features, less bugs, more popular
amongst developers (which means more stability in third party code),
etc.  Python 2.4 is certainly established enough to use, especially
on Mac OS X and Windows.