[Pythonmac-SIG] MySQLdb lib help

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Thu Jan 19 06:26:15 CET 2006

On Jan 18, 2006, at 9:10 PM, David Warde-Farley wrote:

> On 18-Jan-06, at 2:55 PM, Bob Ippolito wrote:
>
>> It's fine, unless you want to create redistributable applications.
>> If you build an app with a vendor Python, it will only reliably work
>> on that version of the OS.  Future versions of Mac OS X will
>> absolutely throw away Python 2.3 for Python 2.4 (or 2.5, depending on
>> when that happens) and none of your applications will still work.
>
> Exactly what Bob said. Other than that, Apple's Python build wasn't
> linked against GNU readline and thus is not very nice to use on the
> interpreter command prompt (try the arrow keys with /usr/bin/
> python; I find it's a real pain not being able to at least up-arrow
> to repeat previous commands a la bash/DOSkey/etc.).

Dave forgot to CC the list... but if you want readline support for
Apple Python 2.3 you can download the package from http://
pythonmac.org/packages/ and there are eggs up on Cheese Shop for use
with easy_install.

Note also that ActiveState's Python 2.4.2 also ships sans-readline
due to license (same reason as Apple).  I don't have a package for
that, but there is an egg.