[Pythonmac-SIG] Mac Python and eggs...

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Fri Jan 20 02:02:27 CET 2006

Bob Ippolito wrote:

> I'd like to see eggs used for everything that can be distributed as  an
> egg... but as Ronald says, mpkgs still have their place for  packages
> that need to install Other Stuff, and as a transitional  means.

Can you put an egg in a mpkg?

> There's no good reason to prefer eggs on pythonmac.org.

I don't quite follow. Are you suggesting that we don't put any eggs on
pythonmac? If so, then we do put non-egg packages there? I am concerned
that that will just confuse the users more. I'd really like to be able
to tell people: go to this place, and all available packages for Python
on OS-X are there.

> setuptools  has
> built-in support for uploading source packages and eggs to Cheese
> Shop.  If the package is already registered by someone else on Cheese
> Shop, just track them down and ask them to add your user as a
> maintainer role, which should allow you to upload eggs.

yes, that does look pretty cool.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov