[Pythonmac-SIG] Building extensions on 10.4 that can be used on 10.3?

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Fri Jan 20 23:56:44 CET 2006

Russell E. Owen wrote:
>>It would be great if you contributed some upgraded packages to pythonmac.
> Gladly!
>
> Mostly I want to see numarray 1.5 there.

Go for it. I've been meaning to do it, but haven't gotten around to it.

> It has C code and links to
> LAPACK and BLAS. So...do I somehow need to make it statically link?

nope, that one is a piece of Cake. Apple provides LAPACK as part of it's
veclib, and I think the numarray setup.py knows how to find it.

python setup.py build

should do it.

 > I'll have to
> keep a MacOS X 10.3 machine around anyway for testing, so I might as
> well build the application on that. Sigh.

I think he said that you could build your app on 10.4, as long as all
the python modules you use (and python itself) were built on 10.3. As
long as you have a 10.3 machine around, you should be all set.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov