[Pythonmac-SIG] Mac Python and eggs...

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Sat Jan 21 15:27:12 CET 2006

On 20-jan-2006, at 3:04, Bob Ippolito wrote:

> On Jan 19, 2006, at 5:02 PM, Christopher Barker wrote:
>
>>> There's no good reason to prefer eggs on pythonmac.org.
>>
>> I don't quite follow. Are you suggesting that we don't put any
>> eggs on
>> pythonmac? If so, then we do put non-egg packages there? I am
>> concerned
>> that that will just confuse the users more. I'd really like to be
>> able
>> to tell people: go to this place, and all available packages for
>> Python
>> on OS-X are there.
>
> We could mine Cheese Shop and list the pure python packages, the
> packages that have Mac OS X eggs, and the mpkgs.

I'd prefer to see a list of packages that are known to work on OSX
complemented
with a link to the cheese shop for people that want to find more
software. Otherwise
you could just point people to the cheese shop.

"pure python" doesn't mean software will work OSX, it may well have
assumptions
on the host system that aren't valid on OSX (parsing linux-style /
proc, using
APIs in the os module that are not available on OSX, ...).

BTW. "known to work" can be very lightweight such as someone that has
used the
library and adds it to a list on the Wiki.

BTW2. This reminds me of the old PackageManager, Jack's plan about it
was to
provide a list of easy-to-install packages that are known to work on
OSX. Much
can, and has, been said about the actual implementation, but the idea
is a good
one.

Ronald