[Pythonmac-SIG] py2app help requested: data files (and where are the examples?)

Russell E. Owen rowen at cesmail.net
Tue Jan 24 00:24:25 CET 2006

I'm trying to convert from bundlebuilder to py2app to build my
application.

I installed py2app 0.2 using the installer at
<http://pythonmac.org/packages/>. I have both a working bundlebuilder
script and a working py2exe script to start from.

The main question: how do get my data files into the bundle? E.g. I want
all (non-code) files in <approot>/foo/bar/ copied into <app
bundle>/Contents/Resources/foo/bar/ for directories.

For my py2exe script I specify a data_files argument to setup, supplying
a list of (source dir, dest dir) pairs. I tried that on Mac (with the
paths suitably modified)

and I get an error:
DistutilsFileError: can't copy 'C': doesn't exist or not a regular file

Here are the elements of data_files:
('/Users/rowen/TUIRoot/TUI/Help', 'Contents/Resources/TUI/Help')
('/Users/rowen/TUIRoot/TUI/Scripts', 'Contents/Resources/TUI/Scripts')
('/Users/rowen/TUIRoot/TUI/Sounds', 'Contents/Resources/TUI/Sounds')
('/Users/rowen/TUIRoot/RO/Bitmaps', 'Contents/Resources/RO/Bitmaps')
('/Library/Tcl/snack2.2',
'Contents/Frameworks/Tcl.Framework/Resources/snack2.2')

I also tried truncating data_files to just the first element of this
list, with no difference.

I realize I could copy the files by calls to the operating system, but I
hope it doesn't come to that.

Also, as an aside, where are the examples installed? I've searched for
them in vain. (I also tried inspecting the py2app installer package, but
wasn't sure what to do with the .pax file.)

-- Russell