[Pythonmac-SIG] Mac Python and eggs...

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Tue Jan 24 03:14:25 CET 2006

On Jan 23, 2006, at 5:55 PM, Robert Kern wrote:

> Bob Ippolito wrote:
>
>> Well if they can build an egg, they can upload it to Cheese Shop with
>> one command.  They probably just haven't invested the five minutes to
>> read over the setuptools documentation to see that it has an upload
>> feature.
>
> *Believe me,* I've spent more than five minutes reading the
> setuptools docs and
> getting these package buildable as eggs. What I haven't done is
> spend the time
> to convince the other maintainers to distribute via PyPI in
> addition to
> Sourceforge. One must have priorities.

Well, sourceforge sucks, especially for distribution.  It's hard to
put packages there, and it's a hassle to download them -- especially
programmatically.  If I were still using it for distribution, I'd be
jumping at the chance to use something that sucks less.

Cheese Shop has the same uptime and reliability as python.org (which
is to say, VERY good), hosting source and binary distributions there
is free and single step (two steps if you want to sign, because you
need to provide your passphrase to GPG), and downloading source from
there is quick and reliable.  You don't even need to change your
setup.py:

http://tinyurl.com/9zxc4

Even if you don't have an egg-compatible package (which is unlikely,
because zip_safe=False covers most of those cases), you could still
put your sdist there.  Worst case, you have your distributions
available from two places..