[Pythonmac-SIG] Mac Python and eggs...

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Tue Jan 24 04:07:10 CET 2006

On Jan 23, 2006, at 6:50 PM, Charlie Moad wrote:

>>> Yes, the egg itself gets hosted on Cheese Shop, as well as the
>>> source
>>> download (hence the "upload").
>>>
>>> The packages you often use are not yet using setuptools,
>>
>> Do you know of a package I can find on cheeseshop that is using
>> setuptools? I'd like to get a sense of what features that offers.
>>
>>> so it's no
>>> surprise that they don't take advantage of these new features that
>>> aren't in distutils.
>>
>> Well, matplotlib has an egg on the sourceforge download site, and
>> NumPy
>> is putting its include files in a odd place specifically to
>> accommodate
>> ssetuptools, and neither of those have eggs on cheeseshop. I guess
>> setuptools really hasn't caught on yet. but it does seem to be
>> gaining a
>> lot of momentum, so I'm hopeful.
>
> I just thought I would mention that you don't see the mpl eggs on
> cheeseshop for a reason.  The download url is set to mpl's sf files
> page.  Setuptools is smart enough to look at cheeseshop and see the
> download url and then find the correct egg from there, hence
> 'easy_install matplotlib' works.  Sorry if I misinterpreted your post.

The reason you don't see the egg on Cheese Shop is because a
maintainer did not upload it to Cheese Shop, period.

setuptools is smart enough to install things from SVN urls, source
tarballs/zips, and eggs.. and it does a relatively good job at
globbing those URLs out of anchor tags on the HTML pages that it
finds via the Cheese Shop metadata -- but that's not *why* the eggs
aren't on Cheese Shop.