[Pythonmac-SIG] building universal binaries

bear bear42 at code-bear.com
Thu Jan 26 00:47:05 CET 2006

Bob Ippolito wrote:
> One thing to note is that you can probably build with minimal patching
> (via the universal SDK), but the result will only run on Mac OS X 10.4
> and later.  It requires major patching in order to create a Python
> binary that is Mac OS X 10.3 or 10.2 compatible.

My goal is first to get Python building on 10.4 (i386 arch) and then to
worry about multi-arch binaries.

Once that happens I can start to do the steps to build multi-arch, but
that is a secondary goal because I think we could live with different
downloads for ppc and i386 for the short term.

> Additionally, you'll end up with a Python that has these SDK-build
> flags baked into its Makefile, so it's not ideally distributable --
> because building extensions would require having the SDK(s)
> installed...  but perhaps that's not a terrible idea, to have a
> separate distribution of Python designed for building redistributable
> applications.  It would certainly be easier than trying to make
> distutils and autoconf smart.

If the binaries I build are useful I can make them available if that helps.

-- bear