[Pythonmac-SIG] Experiences with 64 bit on PowerMac G5s?

Michael Barber mjb at uma.pt
Thu Jan 26 17:54:02 CET 2006

I have been using Python for scientific computing on a variety of
systems, Mac and otherwise, with a recent focus on properties of
interaction networks. Until now, I have not needed to use more than
roughly 1 GB of RAM at a time. Thanks to some fairly straightforward
scaling properties, it is clear that the next version of the
interaction networks we're exploring will require more than 2GB of
RAM without some serious reworking of the programs.

The simplest and most cost-effective solution appears to be just to
buy a 64 bit computer and load it up with 8 GB or so of RAM, and so
far a PowerMac G5 looks like a good solution. However, while I have a
lot of experience with Python on Macs, I've never used Python on one
of the G5s (or any other 64 bit machine), so would like to hear about
others' experiences with such a setup. The impression I have is that
it should be completely straightforward; is that so? Are there any
issues with compiling and running a 64-bit Python on a G5 that I
should be aware of? How about with Numeric or (better) numarray?

--

Michael