[Pythonmac-SIG] Mac Intel Python status?

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Fri Jan 27 18:43:23 CET 2006

    s> Apparently the readline library in MacOSX isn't really readline.
    s> It's a renamed libedit.  Not having encountered this deception
    s> before, Python's build procedure doesn't know to test the capability
    s> of readline.  I suggest you just comment out the readline checks in
    s> setup.py.

    Piet> libedit (editline) is a different library with a similar function
    Piet> as readline, but not compatible with it. It has a BSD license. It
    Piet> is often used instead of readline for non-GPL software.

True.  I believe it was written by Rich Salz several years ago.  Python used
to work with it, but eventually started using some readline functionality
which libedit doesn't provide.  I don't recall what that is.

Skip