[Pythonmac-SIG] py2app 0.3 stable?

Justin Mitchell pythonmac at justinmitchell.net
Mon Jan 30 04:49:00 CET 2006

On 1/29/06, Kevin Ollivier <kevino at theolliviers.com> wrote:
> Hi Justin,
>
> On Jan 29, 2006, at 6:23 PM, Justin Mitchell wrote:

> >> Try it with the release version and see if it works.
> >>

> > There are a few things that I've had trouble with, such as including
> > wxPython, and Intel Mac OS X support.
> >
> > In regards to wxPython... py2app 0.2 doesn't automatically include the
> > wxPython 2.5.3 files, so I have to force it with "-p". This results in
> > a rather large binary (19 megs worth of wxPython stuff). I'm using
> > 10.4.4 and the default python/wxPython version. I tried to "-exclude"
> > portions of wxPython, but -exclude doesn't seem to function (or I'm
> > using it improperly).
>
> Have you considered using 2.6.2 instead? It will properly include the
> bits you need (2.5.3 is part of the "system" for Tiger, which is why
> I suspect it doesn't automatically get included) and you'll benefit
> from the numerous bugfixes since 2.5.3.

I did try wxPython 2.6.2 and ran into the same problem. When I launch
the application I get the typical dialog that says "ImportError: No
module named wxversion". When I'm using 2.5.3 I don't use wxversion,
and I get "ImportError: No module named wxPython.wx".

I also tried to use the advice in the py2app docs that suggest
pointing to the wx rsrc file in the frameworks variable in setup.py,
but that didn't help either (there's no rsrc file included with 2.6.2,
so I just tried this with 2.5.3).

So, my next logical conclusion was to try a newer version of py2app,
but if other people are having success with 0.2 (are they?), then it's
probably something else.

 - Justin