[Pythonmac-SIG] Universal binary build of py2app application won't run on 10.3.9

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Sat Jul 1 19:50:06 CEST 2006

> The more I work on supporting 10.3.9 and 10.4 the more I believe
> that the binary installer shouldn't link to system versions of
> libraries that aren't in a part of the OS where Apple is serious
> about versioning/backward-compatiblity.
>
> That is the easiest way  to achieve compatibility with older OS
> releases without extensive testing.
>
> BTW. I don't know what I'll do once 10.5 is out, I might stop
> working on 10.3.9 support.

Right now it's a tough decision for 10.3.9 support - personally I
don't care for it, too much hassle.  But for something released to
the masses, I'll do my best to support what Apple supports.  And come
10.5, my bet is that Apple drops 10.3.9 support.  Let's hope that
Apple does a more thorough job of providing backward compatibility
this time.

I've also been slowly migrating Macs (~40) where I work to Tiger,
mostly as we buy new Macs with it.  I hope I can finish by the
Leopard release ^_^  No Python use yet, but someday maybe - if the
GRASS GUI moves to Python.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"I ache, therefore I am.  Or in my case - I am, therefore I ache."

- Marvin