[Pythonmac-SIG] build matplotlib on 10.3.9 without a bus error?

Kevin Walzer kw at kevin-walzer.com
Fri Jul 7 09:00:42 CEST 2006

Bob Ippolito wrote:

> It really shouldn't be looking at .a files, that's a bug. There's at
> least a few other bugs in the universal branch of py2app, it's really
> not ready yet. It does seem to work for some apps, which is why I cut a
> release.
>
> I didn't write any of that code and I haven't audited it, so there isn't
> much I can do beyond accepting patches that fix these things until I
> find the time to go through it all (don't hold your breath).
>
> -bob

I've poked around a bit in the py2app code, but I really have no idea
how to fix this--I would gladly submit a patch if I did.

However, for what it's worth, I was able to build a standalone app
bundle of the "hello-tk" demo using bundlebuilder. Because bundlebuilder
isn't nearly as elegant as py2app, it took some trial and error, and the
final app bundle is huge--50+ megabytes--but it works, and the resulting
app is a universal binary. I'm glad bundlebuilder is still available. :-)

Here's my setup script, run as "sudo python makeapplication.py build":

### makeapplication.py
from bundlebuilder import buildapp

buildapp(
    name='hello.app', # what to build
    mainprogram='hello.py', # your app's main()
    argv_emulation=1, # drag&dropped filenames show up in sys.argv
   # iconfile='myapp.icns', # file containing your app's icons
    standalone=1, # make this app self contained.
    includeModules=['argvemulator', 'os'], # list of additional Modules
to force in
    includePackages=[], # list of additional Packages to force in
    libs = [
            '/Library/Frameworks/Tk.Framework',
            '/Library/Frameworks/Tcl.Framework'
        ]
   # libs=[], # list of shared libs or Frameworks to include
)

- --
Kevin Walzer
Poetic Code