[Pythonmac-SIG] Pythonw 2.3.5 error on OSX 10.3.9

Kevin Walzer kw at kevin-walzer.com
Fri Jul 7 19:35:29 CEST 2006

Michael Glassford wrote:
> When I try to run /usr/local/bin/pythonw2.3, I get the error:
>
> """
> /usr/local/bin/pythonw2.3: line 2:
> /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/Resources/Python.app/Contents/MacOS/Python:
> No such file or directory
> /usr/local/bin/pythonw2.3: line 2: exec:
> /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/Resources/Python.app/Contents/MacOS/Python:
> cannot execute: No such file or directory
> """
>
> If I check, there is in fact a
> "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3" directory, but it
> contains no "Resources" subdirectory.
>
> I've tried reinstalling Python 2.3.5, but nothing changed. In other
> respects, Python 2.3.5 is correctly installed, because
> /usr/local/bin/python2.3 runs correctly and reports that it is, in fact
> version 2.3.5.
>
> Any ideas?
>

> Mike

I'm confused.

Python 2.3.5 is the version of Python that ships with OS X 10.4, and
it's installed in /usr/bin. It should not be removed because various
system components depend on it. If you've somehow removed that, you may
want to reinstall the OS.

I'm not aware of a widely-distributed version of Python 2.3.5 that
installs in /usr/local/bin. The most recent versions in widespread
distribution are 2.4.1 and 2.4.3, just released as a "universal binary"
build.  Look at http://macpython.org/packages for download links.

So where did your 2.3.5 build come from? Did you build it yourself? If
so, it should be pretty easy to rebuild.

- --
Kevin Walzer
Poetic Code
http://www.kevin-walzer.com