[Pythonmac-SIG] [ANN] py2app 0.3.2

Kaweh Kazemi kaweh.kazemi at chello.at
Sat Jul 22 00:09:44 CEST 2006

>> changing the path order would be a problem (at least for me),
>> wouldn't it?
>>
>> my python2.4 (and the approriate link 'python') is in /usr/local/bin
>> (as installed with the latest Python Universal installer if i recall
>> correctly) and if i type 'python' into the terminal i would like this
>> version to be picked up and not the apple version in /usr/bin - which
>> is python2.3 (and the link 'python' to it). i'm just confused if my
>> setup is not correct, but anyways it works for me, so i believe i
>> should be fine.
>
> No. /usr/local/bin/python* is only there for backwards
> compatibility with what previous installers did. The installer also
> adds this to your .profile:
>
> # Setting PATH for MacPython 2.4
> # The orginal version is saved in .profile.pysave
> PATH="/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin:$
> {PATH}"
>
> This directory has the actual python binaries, and this is where
> distutils/setuptools install scripts to.

thanks for the clarification and your time, bob.

i was using .bash_profile which seemed to override .profile (sorry,
i'm not really a bash expert and that setup did work for me). i've
fixed that in my environment now and i'm using .profile for my stuff.

> No. /usr/local/bin/python* is only there for backwards
> compatibility with what previous installers did. The installer also
> adds this to your .profile:

is it safe to remove /usr/local/bin/python* then or should the stuff
remain there? just curious.

thanks again,
kaweh