[Pythonmac-SIG] [Pyobjc-dev] [ANN] py2app 0.3.2

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Mon Jul 24 20:17:22 CEST 2006

Bob Ippolito wrote:
> No, it's not. There are approximately zero scripts that expect this
> behavior.

Most "scripts" I've ever used are used from the command line, and the
working dir is the working dir you call the command from. This pretty
much all goes to heck when you want to click on it from a GUI.

All the Linux GUIs I've used use $HOME as the default working dir when
you double click on something.

When a script is installed somewhere central, like /usr/local/bin,
that's really all that makes sense.

When a script is hanging out in the depths of someone's $HOME hierarchy
somewhere, I suppose it's likely that the user will want the script to
act on files nearby.

I'm not going to push the point -- I don't find PythonLauncher useful,
for just this reason. I think if you have something that behaves like a
traditional *nix script, you're better off running it from the command
line. If you have a little GUI, you're probably better off making an
Applet out of it, and clicking on it that way. And in that case, I'd
want $HOME as the default working dir.

Can you drag-and-drop on a script and have PythonLauncher do argv
emulation for you? That could be useful.

-CHB

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov