[Pythonmac-SIG] python and quicktime

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Thu Jun 8 18:11:59 CEST 2006

On 8-jun-2006, at 16:24, Kent Quirk wrote:

> Noah Gift wrote:
>> I am new to python and was interested in writing some python code
>> that
>> converts image sequences, for example tiff, into Quicktime movies,
>> for
>> example animation codec.  Can anyone point me in the right direction
>> to begin my research?  It would be nice to not use pyobjc as I am
>> trying to focus on doing things in pure python for now as a learning
>> excercise.
>>

> Well, having solved a similar problem last year (making quicktime
> animations from a sequence of screenshots), I can testify that:
>
> a) It's not easy. Quicktime doesn't make this problem simple or
> document
> it very well. In fact, at last year's WWDC, a guy from Pixar gave a
> talk
> about building a storyboarding tool and along the way ranted about how
> hard it was (and didn't need to be). I suppose it's possible that
> they've improved the documentation since then.
>
> b) It's probably not possible with "pure" python. The file formats are
> neither documented nor trivial, so you're not going to just write the
> bits out to files. And as far as I know, there's no prewritten
> Pythonic
> wrapper for Quicktime -- other than going through PyObjC. If you
> really
> don't want PyObjC, I think your remaining choice is to build a C++
> plugin for Python that makes the appropriate Quicktime calls (which is
> what we did -- but we already had a C++ framework we were using).

There's also Carbon.Qt, which are wrappers for Quicktime. I haven't
used these (or Quicktime at all), and can't help with them.

Given the description of QTKit in Apple's developer documentation I'd
say that using QTKit through PyObjC would be the easiest way to
implement the application you want to build.

BTW. I don't understand why you want to avoid PyObjC. Do you also
want to avoid PIL and other libraries?

Ronald