[Pythonmac-SIG] Can't build 2.4.3 against X11 Tcl/Tk

Kevin Walzer kw at kevin-walzer.com
Sun Jun 18 01:18:53 CEST 2006

Bob Ippolito wrote:

> On Jun 16, 2006, at 9:40 AM, Kevin Walzer wrote:
>
>> This is a new twist on an old problem.
>>
>> I'm trying to build a standard Unix version of Python (without
>> - -enable-framework) and link it against an X11-based version of Tcl/Tk.
>> However, no matter what I do, it builds against the system-installed
>> Tk/Aqua.
>>
>> Googling for some solutions to this problem has turned up lots of
>> complaints about Python linking against an X11 version of Tk (usually
>> Fink's). How far we've come! :-)
>>
>> Anyway, here are the flags I'm using to run the build:
>>
>> export CFLAGS="-arch ppc -arch i386 -isysroot
>> /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk -mmacosx-version-min=10.4
>> - -I/usr/local/tcl-tk-unix/include"
>>
>> export LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/tcl-tk-unix/lib"
>>

>> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/python-unix --enable-threads
>>
>> I know it would be simple to use a Fink or DarwinPorts version of
>> Python, but I want this version to link against the universal X11 build
>> of Tcl/Tk I have installed.
>>
>> Any advice?
>
> Edit setup.py, remove the "if platform == 'darwin':
> self.detect_tkinter_darwin..."
>
> -bob

I've done this, and it builds, but not universal. This holds true for
both the universal "fat" code in SVN and for the official 2.4.3 distro
from Python.org--it's PPC only.

Is there anything special I can look at, apart from the flags above?
I've confirmed that the Tcl/Tk libs I'm linking against are universal:

/usr/local/tcl-tk-unix/bin/tclsh8.4: Mach-O fat file with 2 architectures
/usr/local/tcl-tk-unix/bin/tclsh8.4 (for architecture ppc):     Mach-O
executable ppc
/usr/local/tcl-tk-unix/bin/tclsh8.4 (for architecture i386):    Mach-O
executable i386

- --
Kevin Walzer
Poetic Code