[Pythonmac-SIG] with libraries compiled with intel compilers, intel libguide.dylib not included

Dan White dan at chalkie.org.uk
Tue Jun 20 19:08:34 CEST 2006

On 15 Jun 2006, at 10:55, Ronald Oussoren wrote:

> On 15-jun-2006, at 9:28, Dan White wrote:
>

>> So yes there are some DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH suff set.
>>
>> Maybe therein lies the problem...?
>> Python probably doesn't know about that stuff?
>
> That might be the problem, and seems to indicate that Intel does
> something completely wrong. Any use of the DYLD_* variables in a
> production environment is an indication that something fishy is
> going on. Unlike linux executables on osx contain the full path to
> libraries they link to. If DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH is needed the compiler
> doesn't include the full path to some libraries that are needed. It
> should be possible to teach py2app/macholib about this "feature" of
> the intel compiler, but you'll probably have to do that yourself.

I tried fixing the .dylibs in my application bindle (made by py2app)
  that were unable to find libguide.dylib
using for instance

install_name_tool -change libguide.dylib @executable_path/../
Frameworks/libguide.dylib /Users/dan/Desktop/bioimagexdsvn/trunk/dist/
BioImageXD.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/libvtkGraphicsPythonD.
5.1.dylib

and it worked ok!
(My .app still fails to launch form some pythonic reason in our code
though...)

so is it a case of teaching macholib this trick for the case of

DATA_FILES.append( ('../Frameworks', [
             '/opt/intel/cc/9.1.024/lib/libguide.dylib',
             ]))

or am I barking up the wrong tree.
I'm not sure macholib doesnt already do this, as it does when you
tell py2app to append other
dylibs into ../Frameworks? Or doesnt it do that for dylibs actually?
DATA_FILES.append literally just to put data files there, and
macholib knows nothing about it.

cheers

Dan

Dr. Daniel James White BSc. (Hons.) PhD
Bioimaging Coordinator
Nanoscience Centre and Department of Biological and Environmental
Sciences
Division of Molecular Recognition
Ambiotica C242
PO Box 35