[Pythonmac-SIG] with libraries compiled with intel compilers, intel libguide.dylib not included

Dan White dan at chalkie.org.uk
Wed Jun 21 10:41:49 CEST 2006

On 21 Jun 2006, at 11:35, Dan White wrote:

> On 20 Jun 2006, at 20:40, Ronald Oussoren wrote:

>>> I tried fixing the .dylibs in my application bindle (made by py2app)
>>>  that were unable to find libguide.dylib
>>> using for instance
>>>
>>> install_name_tool -change libguide.dylib @executable_path/../
>>> Frameworks/libguide.dylib /Users/dan/Desktop/bioimagexdsvn/trunk/
>>> dist/BioImageXD.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/
>>> libvtkGraphicsPythonD.5.1.dylib
>>
>> Hmm, this could turn out to be interesting :-). Could you check
>> the license of the intel compiler, are you allowed to do this?
>>
>> BTW. A better fix would be to rewrite the install_name  of the
>> libguide.dylib in /opt/intel/cc/.../, then py2app would
>> automaticly copy the library and rewrite the install_name.
>
> here is the license from intel pages for the OS X intel compilers
>
> http://www.intel.com/cd/software/products/asmo-na/eng/compilers/
> cmac/267042.htm
>
> doesn't look good.
> Even the non profit license does not seem to allow redistribution
> of their materials.
> Which seems rather odd, since the libguide.dyli is no use to anyone
> who isnt using their compiers
> or binaries generated by them,
> so they only stand to gain by their redistribution with fast intel
> compiled binaries...
>

> big business.....
>
> i will ask for clarification regarding open source free software
> projects.
>
> Dan

Actually on further inspection,
there is a file with a list of redistrubutable files:

List of Re-distributable files for the Intel(R) C++ Compiler for Mac OS:
libguide.a
libguide.dylib
libguide_stats.a
libguide_stats.dylib
libimf.a
libimf.dylib
libirc.a
libirc.dylib
libirc_s.a
libompstub.a
libsvml.a
libsvml.dylib
libipgo.a

so maybe that means it is fine to bundle libguide.dylib in a  .app

Dan

Dr. Daniel James White BSc. (Hons.) PhD
Bioimaging Coordinator
Nanoscience Centre and Department of Biological and Environmental
Sciences
Division of Molecular Recognition
Ambiotica C242
PO Box 35