[Pythonmac-SIG] python 2.5b1

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Wed Jun 28 08:20:17 CEST 2006

On 28-jun-2006, at 0:16, Christopher Barker wrote:

> Ronald Oussoren wrote:
>>  But a seperate unix installation shouldn't be  necessary to use
>> Python.
>
> I've managed to keep my system Darwinports and fink free, but
> sometimes it's hard. It's apparently much easier to do a straight
> port of something that already works on Linux (and other *nixes) to
> fink, than to get it to compile and install right in native OS-X.
>
> It's not python itself -- MacPython does everything it needs to.
> the issue is python stuff that requires other *nix libs and
> packages. Many of these are available in fink, but not in an easy-
> to-install-and-use version for native OS-X. We can fix some of that
> by adding a LOT more packages to the pythonmac.org repository.

Feel free to suggest, and preferably supply additional packages.

> Another issue is that Apple has not provided a packaging system for
> OS-X. There is no way to install a package you need, and have the
> system go and install all the dependencies for you. fink makes that
> easy.

I never said it would be easy :-). Python eggs solve at least part of
the packaging problems.

I'd also like to get some build infrastructure going, I have a script
that I use to build packages for things that I usse but that needs to
be cleaned up before it can be reused. My idea for this is to have
recipes that specify how to build packages (e.g. first build this
version of libxml, then libxslt and then build an egg of lxml) and
use that the fill the package repository at pythonmac.org. Any
patches that are needed for building should be pushed up streams.

Ronald