[Pythonmac-SIG] Universal binary build of py2app application won't run on 10.3.9

Michael Glassford glassfordm at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 29 21:04:21 CEST 2006

Ronald Oussoren wrote:
> On 28-jun-2006, at 20:56, Bob Ippolito wrote:
>

>> It's not really trivial, but it's the only option you have unless
>> someone else does it first. It sounds like Ronald will probably
>> create another 2.4.3 installer in the future that fixes this and a
>> few other issues, but I don't know when he'll get around to it (if
>> ever, I don't speak for his free time).
>
> I'm doing this in my free time, I'm hoping to do a new release before
> 2.4.4 gets out but don't promise anything.
>
>> In your situation, I would just give up on 10.3 users until the issue
>> with Python is resolved (which is either going to happen when 2.5
>> comes out, or when the 2.4.3 installer gets updated).
>
> And if you want support for 10.3 actually testing the 2.5 installer
> would be nice. I do some testing on 10.3, but as all my systems run
> 10.4 and I don't have a business-need for supporting 10.3 it doesn't
> get a much attention as it should.
>
> To do that you'll have to build it from source on a 10.4.x system
> with xcode 2.3 and the 10.4u SDK installed. Just run Mac/BuildScript/
> build-installer.py to create a dmg containing the installer.

It's not entirely clear if the "2.5 installer" you mention above means
PyObjC or Python. If the former, I tried it (using the Python 2.5
installer here:
http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.5/python-2.5b1-macosx2006-06-20.dmg)
and it isn't working. I built it on an Intel Mac Mini, and when I run it
on 10.3.9 I see this:

"""

Traceback (most recent call last):

   File "/Volumes/MyAppDisk/MyApp.app/Contents/Resources/__boot__.py",
line 4, in <module>

     _chdir_resource()

   File "/Volumes/MyAppDisk/MyApp.app/Contents/Resources/__boot__.py",
line 2, in _chdir_resource

     import os

zipimport.ZipImportError: can't decompress data; zlib not available

"""

If you need me to build Python 2.5, I'll go back and try that.

Mike