[Pythonmac-SIG] Universal binary build of py2app application won't run on 10.3.9

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Fri Jun 30 23:08:20 CEST 2006

On Jun 30, 2006, at 1:50 PM, Christopher Barker wrote:

>> It's a bad idea, and redistributing components of OS X isn't legal
>> anyway.
>
> OK, I understand the legal issues -- darn it!
>
> However. This is a problem, and there appears to be no solution,
> other than:
>
> 1) Don't support 10.3.9
>
> or
>
> 2) Wait for Ronald, out of the goodness of his heart, in his free
> time,
> to hack the Python build and put out a new version.

Or someone else can build one. Doesn't have to be Ronald.

> I'm guessing that this may not be the ONLY lib that has this
> problem --
> it's just the the one that's been discovered. Also, it seems possible
> that a user might have a similar problem with a lib that isn't
> Apple's.

If there are other libs then maybe they'll get found someday and a
bug would get filed. If someone really cared about 10.3, they'd go
through and test everything with the universal build.

If a lib that isn't Apple's is living in /usr/lib or /System then
someone screwed up.

> While I understand that the legal issues are such that we shouldn't
> include that lib be default, having a hook so that the user could
> specify libs they wanted included by hand would be helpful. In this
> case, it wouldn't be a big deal to build your own copy of the bz2 lib
> and include that.

I'm still not going to do it. Stuff that ships with the OS shouldn't
get redistributed. If you really really want to do it bad enough, you
can figure it out.

> Could you just copy such a lib into your bundle after the fact? If
> so --
> where?

You'd still need to install_name_tool over the lib and the extension,
and there's a chance it might not work. I'm not going to walk through
the steps, the right solution is just to get the bz2 extension built
correctly against a third party (preferably static) lib.