[Pythonmac-SIG] Download page on www.python.org now updated

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Thu Mar 2 14:17:39 CET 2006

On Thursday, March 02, 2006, at 01:40PM, W. R. Wing <wrw at ornl.gov> wrote:

>At 5:56 PM -0600 3/1/06, skip at pobox.com wrote:
>>     Ronald> The page looks fine, but it might be better to remove the icon
>>     Ronald> or replace it by the current MacPython icon (the 16 ton
>>     Ronald> weight). It's not that I don't like the snake, but some people
>>     Ronald> claim a lifelike snake will scare some (potential) users and
>>     Ronald> furthermore the snake-icon isn't actually used by MacPython
>>     Ronald> (yet?).
>>
>>I believe Bill has svn access now, so I'll leave that to him to decide.
>>
>>Skip
>
>I've been lurking on this list since early 2002 (and I can't tell you-all
>how much I've picked up listening - it has been incredibly helpful),
>but I feel it is finally time to say something.
>
>I LIKE the python squeezing the apple.  The 16 ton icon is not only
>amateurish, it is so indirect an "in" joke as to be inscrutable to
>anyone coming new to the party.  When I first saw it (back in OS 9
>days) I thought  it was supposed to represent Python's ability to do
>"heavy lifting" for the user.
>
>Until, or unless  Guido himself officially signs off on an icon that
>_has_ to be used - I'd say stick with this one.  It at least looks
>professional.

The 16 ton icon stays until someone brings a better alternative. Please
remember that it is not just 1 icon, but a set of them: One each for
IDLE, BuildApplet and .py files. Ideally there would also be one for
py2app application bundles where the user hasn't provided his own
icon.

The reason I don't like having the snake on the website is that the icon
will not match the icons used by the various applications installed
by the macpython installer.

Ronald