[Pythonmac-SIG] Download page on www.python.org now updated

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Fri Mar 3 16:27:06 CET 2006

On Friday, March 03, 2006, at 01:11AM, Bill Janssen <janssen at parc.com> wrote:

>> Of course, if you do so and say the issue is settled, I'm going to be
>> more than a little upset because I was asked to look into generating
>> an icon, I have done so and even found someone who has already done
>> some initial work on it, and I'm going to have to tell this person to
>> scrap their work simply because you guys are impatient. We're not
>> working on your dime, you know. You and Chris asked for a favor and I
>> agreed, and in fact I put a fair amount of time into researching what
>> was out there and finally found someone interested a few days ago,
>> but then when I can't produce something for you at lightning speed
>> you just want to say forget it? I mean, seriously, you can't wait a
>> few weeks on changing an icon that has been used for what, almost a
>> decade?
>
>Kevin,
>
>I can't speak for Ron or W.R., but for my part, I'm perfectly willing
>to wait and see what you come up with -- I think the ideas you floated
>are interesting, I appreciate the work you are doing on this front,
>and I've got no vested interest in the snake-around-the-apple logo.  I
>just found it on the pythonmac.org wiki, and slapped it into the
>download page.  Happy to change it to something else, too -- no great
>amount of effort required.

BTW.  I do know about the American tendency to go for shortened names, but my name is Ronald. Please type the additional 4 characters.

With that pet peeve out of the way, I'd be happy to replace the current set of  icons by something else. I'm just not happy about replacing just one icon and ignoring the rest, what some people seem to suggest. The new icons should also be an improvement, but that shouldn't be too hard when someone with actual grafical skills is involved :-).

While I do like the Monty Python connotations of the current icon set, I wouldn't mind moving to something more snake related. For better or worse, the world associates Python with the snake instead of the comedians and that means the 16 ton weight won't be understood by the majority of Python users.

Ronald