[Pythonmac-SIG] simple help?

Charles Hartman charles.hartman at conncoll.edu
Tue Mar 7 04:51:16 CET 2006

I'm getting really tired of not understanding this: Can someone point
me to some single place that explains the whole path / PATH /
PYTHONPATH arrangement for Python? I know there are two sorts on the
Mac, framework and /usr, and I know some other bits and pieces, but I
have no clear overall picture.

This came to my attention when I downloaded and installed IPython,
which looks very nifty. I put it in my MacPython folder in /
Applications -- but that's not really where it belongs, and I don't
want to have to run it from the Terminal only from there . . . you
see the kind of simple problem I'm not grasping.

Any help much appreciated as always.

(I'm using the 2.4.1 framework build.)

Charles