[Pythonmac-SIG] universal binary installer, take 1

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Tue Mar 7 17:24:24 CET 2006

Ivan,

First off, thanks for your feedback.

On 7-mrt-2006, at 16:15, Ivan Vinogradov wrote:

>> I've placed a DMG with an installer for a universal build of
>> 2.4.2. This is an initial release of this installer, there are
>> probably issues with it.
>> ... <snip>
>
> Guidance requested.
>
> 1) Does this installation still require TigerPython24Fix to be
> applied?
>
> Hmm, the TigerPython24Fix-r2.mpkg refuses to install it anyways:
> Under Select a Destination:
> "You cannot install TigerPython24Fix (r2) on this volume. Make sure
> your system meet the requirements"
> Other .mpkg packages didn't complain and seem to work fine.

This package does not need other packages to function, the idea is that
this installer will work for anyone on Mac OS X 10.3 or later.

> 2) As is having problems with building extensions:
> Happy-Happy-Joy-Joy:~/Desktop/vector3-0.6 iv$ python2.4 setup.py
> install
> running install
> running build
> running build_ext
> building 'vector3' extension
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "setup.py", line 46, in ?
>      ext_modules = [
>    File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4//lib/
> python2.4/distutils/core.py", line 149, in setup
>      dist.run_commands()

[... strip most of stack trace ...]

>    File "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4//lib/
> python2.4/distutils/command/build_ext.py", line 442, in
> build_extension
>      sources = self.swig_sources(sources, ext)
> TypeError: swig_sources() takes exactly 2 arguments (3 given)

I don't use swig myself, but I do no this is not a part of the code I
have touched yet.  I seem to recall that setuptools contains a patch to
workaround a simular bug.

Is this by any change a open source software that I could play around
with?

> 3) The included $PATH modifier doesn't work. Perhaps this is by
> design and is included just for testing, in this case apologies.

That is not intentional, I'll have a look.

> Currently, ~/.profile is modified to include:
> | # Setting PATH for MacPython 2.4
> | # The orginal version is saved in .cshrc.pysave
> | PATH="/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/bin:$
> {PATH}"
>
> a) for *csh missing setenv to actually make the change outside the
> script
> b) default shell since panther is bash, needs export
> c) should this be a global setting anyways?
>     ie. i-Installer latex installation add this to /etc/profile
> | ## setloginpath added /usr/local/bin start at Mon Mar  6 16:18:17
> EST 2006
> | ## Do not remove the previous line
> | if [ `whoami` != "root" ]
> |  then
> |   PATH="$PATH:/usr/local/bin"
> |   export PATH
> | fi
> | ## Do not remove the next line
> | ## setloginpath added /usr/local/bin end at Mon Mar  6 16:18:17 EST
> 2006

I don't want to update system files, you never know if some update
from apple will overwrite these changes. That seems unlikely with
/etc/profile, but I have run into this multiple times with /etc/
rc.common
(enabling network logging for syslogd).

Ronald