[Pythonmac-SIG] Recurring question - which python should I use?

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Wed Mar 15 15:45:21 CET 2006

On Wednesday, March 15, 2006, at 12:20PM, Bill Janssen <janssen at parc.com> wrote:

>> The depends on what the application is. If the application is a GUI
>> application you can use py2app to build an application bundle, that
>> will include the python framework inside the application (unless you
>> use Apple's python).
>
>What's the "framework"?  If that's the entire Python interpreter and
>library, installed in a way that can't interfere with whatever the
>user is using for whatever *other* Python needs they have on their
>machine -- that's what I'd need if I were to use something other than
>the system Python.

And that is what py2app does. It will add the subsection of Python.framework
that is needed for your application (based on the contents of setup.py and
static analysis of the application) into the app bundle. Loader commands of
binaries in the app bundle are rewriten to make sure they refer to the framework
(and other libraries) inside the bundle instead of versions outside of the bundle.

Please check out py2app, it's documentation might be lacking on some points,
but not w.r.t. its technical capabilities.

>> Building a .pkg is also quite easy, see Mac/OSX/Dist in the python24-fat
>> tree for the code that is used to build the univeral binary installer.
>
>Yes, I've got my own python program that builds .pkg installers.

Ronald