[Pythonmac-SIG] Fwd: py2app question

Dethe Elza delza at livingcode.org
Thu Mar 16 17:58:21 CET 2006

Forgot to respond to list in my reply:

On 3/16/06, Stewart Midwinter <stewart.midwinter at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have an application I'd like to have located on a USB stick, and be
> able to run in a self-contained manner on any PC it's connected to,
> whether running OS X or Windows.   Can I use py2app to help create
> this stand-alone distribution?

There's no way to create an entirely self-contained application that
runs on either Windows or OS X, there are just too many differences in
how they are built and bootstrapped.  But py2app will let you build a
self-contained application which will run off of a memory stick.  You
might be able to use filesystem tricks to hide the OS X application on
Windows and the Windows application on OS X, to give the illusion that
there is only one application (some CD ROMs do this, I believe).

> Or, could I count on Python always being installed on any OS X -
> equipped PC, and thus not need to install a separate copy on my USB
> stick in order to be able to run my app?

You cannot count on the version of Python that will be installed, or
any external libraries you depend on.  The best thing is to bundle it
all into your application using py2app.

--Dethe