[Pythonmac-SIG] Questions about various bits of Intel status

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Wed Mar 22 11:45:46 CET 2006

On 22-mrt-2006, at 9:45, Andrew Barnert wrote:

> I'm guessing these answers are all out there
> somewhere, but I can't find them. So I apologize if
> I'm being stupid, but:
>
> First, what's up with ctypes and other things that
> need libffi? They complain that it hasn't been ported
> to darwin x86 and punt. The latest information I could
> find was a blog at bob.pythonmac.org that says it's
> been ported, but has no link or information. It looks
> like PyObjC has a port, but it doesn't work. Should I
> be looking on the PyObjC and/or ctypes lists instead
> of here? (A quick search didn't turn up any obvious
> answers, but I didn't look in-depth.)

PyObjC contains a port of libffi to darwin/x86, but sadly
enough I didn't pay enough attention in the time between
WWDC'05 and the release of OSX/x86. My port of libffi
no longer works due to slight changes in the calling
conventions. I'll be fixing this shortly, and push those
upstreams and to ctypes.

> Next, have the python24-fat changes been ported to the
> 2.5 trunk? If not, should it be relatively easy to do
> myself, or should I just wait for the gurus to check
> it in? If it should be doable, at what version and tag
> was python24-fat forked from the tree (so I can pull
> the stock equivalent and make diffs to start from)?

The changes have not been ported to the 2.5 tree yet,
but I intend to do so before the 2.5a1 release.

> How exactly are you supposed to properly install a
> framework build? I assume that if you sudo make
> installframeworks, you can't install any modules via
> .pkg files. (At least the docs say not to do this, and
> it seems the most likely reason.) But if you just make
> installframeworks, it fails on /usr/local/{bin,lib}. I
> ended up sudo'ing it and chgrp/chmod -R on the
> frameworks, but there must be a better way. Maybe
> change the makefiles to install -m775/664 instead of
> 755/644, and -gadmin for the framework bits only? But
> that may not be what you want when building a
> package/darwinport/etc.? Without digging through the
> makefile structure, I'm not sure....

Just install using the pkg? My build script in the
python24-fat tree does a chmod after installing, but
that's mostly because its predecessor also did that.

> Are trunk builds supposed to mostly work on an Intel
> Mac? By "mostly work" I mean that if something works
> on a linux box off the trunk, and on it's in the 2.4
> official unofficial release candidate universal
> installer and works on my Intel box, it'll also work
> on building off the trunk on my Intel Mac. I'm not
> expecting any better.... But there are a bunch of
> things that seem to work in trunk/linux and
> 2.4.2/universal but not trunk/Intel mac:
> * test_curses is skipped, even though curses appears
> to work
> * all tests that require networking are skipped, even
> though at least
>    some (maybe all) of the relevant modules work
> * test_re fails
> * test_{unicode,unicodedata,codecs} fail

Dunno about these, they should work just fine. I haven't
tried building the trunk on an intel box yet though.

> * test_{aepack,applesingle,macostools} fail

Those are expected to fail, the python24-fat tree contains
bugfixes for this.

> I checked one of the tests, and the Unicode stuff does
> seem to be wrong (u'\u2000'.isspace() returns False on
> trunk, True on everything else). I haven't checked the
> rest. No configure settings seem to make a difference
> (unless I disable the relevant modules or totally
> break the build).
>
> Finally: Is there some known place to look for this
> kind of info besides this list, pythonmac.org's wiki,
> the current trunk code, the bug tracker, and random
> googling? Is there any way to follow threads from this
> list's archive without stopping and rooting around at
> each month boundary? Is there a way to search the
> archives other than googling with
> site:http://mail.python.org/pipermail/pythonmac-sig?

Not that I know of.

Ronald