[Pythonmac-SIG] SQLite & python

Dan Grassi dgrassi at lexar.com
Tue Mar 28 20:20:47 CEST 2006

Hi,

I am totally confused by all the versions and name conflicts of py-
sqlite and sqlite not to mention the python version confusion.  What
I really want to do is use both sqlite version 2 and sqlite version 3
since I have existing sqlite version2 DBs and new CoreData apps that
use sqlite version 3.  From a version/nomenclature standpoint there
is a huge mess eg: py-sqlite works with either sqlite 2 or sqlite 3
and py-sqlite2 works with sqlite version 3.

I have been using py-sqlite with sqlite version 2 successfully.

First problem I see is that there are two version of Python  on my
Tiger system:
/usr/bin/python version 2.3.5
/usr/local/bin/python version 2.4.1

Second problem:
The (Apple) installed version of sqlite3 is 3.0.8.6
py-sqlite 2.1 requires sqlite 3.2.2
py-sqlite 2.0 requires sqlite 3.1
py-sqlite 1.1 requires sqlite 3.x
So it seems that py-sqlite 1.1 is the one I need.

If I install it my installed py-sqlite that used the python sqlite
version 2 gets overwritten, not nice.  It also seems to get
instaslled in the python 2.3 library, also not nice.

If I go to darwin ports it wants to upgrade my python to 2.4.2 first.

Does anyone have a solution?

All in all the whole Python database (lack of) mess is ridiculous!  I
know that Guido does not feel that databases have any place in python
but I don't get it, why does the "batteries included" not include
database support, databases like MySQL, PostgreSQL & SQLite?

At this point I am ready to mostly give up on Python after over 10
years of use and evangelizing.

Dan