[Pythonmac-SIG] Wiki Formatting

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Fri Mar 31 00:38:24 CEST 2006

Ronald Oussoren wrote:
> I'd prefer not to have seperate Intel and PPC binaries. Would merging
> seperate
> Intel and PPC builds be of any use?

Yes, though I'm not sure what you mean by merging.

Do you mean lipo'ing them together? or having separate builds in one *.mpkg?

Ideally, we could get it all truly Universal, then one could build
Universal Py2App  bundles with it and all.

I think the big trick with SciPy is the Fortran components. SciPy,
Fortran and gcc 4 have been having trouble for a while. If that's fixed,
I have no idea about how to build Universal binaries with gfortran or
g95. Does anyone know?

While I'm on the topic, I'm looking into building Universal binaries of
some other packages that depend on other libs. For instance, matplotlib
depends on libpng and libfreetype. In the past, I've built static libs
of those, and then linked MPL against them, getting a nice
self-contained package. However, I have no idea how I would go about
building Universal static libs, or two sets of libs, or????

Any suggestions?

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov