[Pythonmac-SIG] wxPython universal (was Re: Wiki Formatting)

Kevin Ollivier kevino at theolliviers.com
Fri Mar 31 01:24:22 CEST 2006

Hi Charles,

On Mar 30, 2006, at 2:54 PM, Charles Hartman wrote:

> Chris,
>
> Are you still planning to work on wxPython? That would be great --
> I can't really use the Universal Python till that works too. I'd be
> glad to help, and I'm not lazy -- but I sure am ignorant, so I
> don't think I have much to contribute to this.

I've been able to build wxPython as Universal using the Universal
Python build from about a week ago, and it works on Tiger, but on
Panther certain things that are supposed to be initialized at load
time aren't being initialized. (e.g. wxArtProvider) Weirder yet, when
I create a C++ app against the exact same DLLs, the initialization
does happen and everything works fine, so this seems to have
something to do with the wrappers, either how things are being linked
in or perhaps some difference in initialization from a straight PPC
build....

I'll try and take some time out in the not too distant future to
track this down, and in the meantime some folks are working to get
the lipo'd binary solution to work for wxWidgets, which could
possibly resolve the issue. (Though considering the C++ builds work
fine on Panther, I'm beginning to really suspect there's something
going on with the wrappers....)

In the meantime, if someone has some debugging tips as to where best
to start poking around to track this down, it would be greatly
appreciated. :-)

Thanks,

Kevin