[Pythonmac-SIG] Application without py2app?

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Mon May 15 22:13:30 CEST 2006

On 15-mei-2006, at 19:54, Thorsten Kohnhorst wrote:

> No, I am fine using an application bundle.
> It's just that the IDE I am trying to use (SPE) seems to know
> nothing about executables.
> And I guess that the included debugger might only work if the
> application is started from a python script.
>
> If there was another way to use a python IDE with a debugger I
> won't care about how exactly the app is started.
>
> I hope I made myself clearer now.
> Thanks again for your fast reply.

The best solution would be to teach SPE about application bundles,
but I don't know how hard that would be.

Bundle support in Cocoa/CoreFoundation uses the C-level argv[0] (*)
to calculate the default location for bundles. Bundlebuilder
(py2app's predecessor(sp?)) uses a copy of the python interpreter
inside the directory Foo.app/Contents/MacOS to run the user's
application. The bundle application (Foo.app/Conents/MacOS/Foo) is a
python script that sets up the right environment and then calls the
embedded python interpreter. You could try to use something like that
to run your application from SPE.

Ronald

(*) Technically it doesn't even use that, but the first argument to
the execv that was used to start the application.